The Rialto Bridge, the oldest and most famous in the city, has always been one of the most crowded areas. In every moment of the day, in fact, you see crowds of people crossing it, photographing it and rummage among the adjacent souvenir shops.
The Rialto Bridge
Together with the Accademia bridge, the Scalzi bridge and the Constitution bridge, it is one of the four bridges that cross the Grand Canal. Easily reachable from every corner of the island, this extraordinary building is located along the main road that leads from the railways to San Marco Square, practically in the center of Venezia.
It all started in 1172, under Sebastiano Ziani's dogato, in fact at that time a solution was sought to join the two banks of the Grand Canal, and among the hypotheses there was that of building a bridge of boats. A few years later a modest version was created, called with the name of the coin that was used to cross it, Quartarolo. In the thirteenth century, the precarious structure was replaced by a more stable wooden one, which crossed the canal supported by poles.
We have a beautiful painting by Vittore Carpaccio, which in 1496, shows what the famous bridge was like, a structure with a precarious air and with a mobile central part, so as to allow the masts of the boats to pass.
A few years later, during a great event, the bridge collapsed under the weight of the people who had come to attend the wedding ceremony of the Marquis of Ferrara. It was rebuilt shortly after, with an always wooden frame, and with the central part movable, always to allow the passage of the boats.
In this circumstance, the plant became an integral part of the Rivoalto market, and over time they also began to open the first shops, which thanks to the rent paid to the State Treasury, this could intervene and maintain the bridge itself. We find traces of this structure in the famous panoramic map designed by Jacopo de 'Barberi in 1500.
In the 16th century, when it was badly reduced by now, a competition was launched for a new bridge, this time in stone, and with an arch high enough to the passage of Bucintoro, the state galley of the Doges of Venezia.
Not far away, at the end of Campo San Giacomo, near one of the columns of the Sotoportego della Sicurtà, there is a stone staircase supported by a marble figure, the so-called "Hunchback of Rialto", sculpted by Pietro da Salò in 1541.
From here the official announcements were proclaimed to the people, but the Venetians also used it to report abuse, neglect and other injustices. Note also the marble plaques that already centuries ago regulated the minimum size of fish allowed according to the various species.
VENETO REGION INFO
Browsing through the pages of this site, you can organize your next holidays in the Veneto region and, thanks to the many photos published, everything will be very simple.
Every single shot is the result of a great passion for this land and thousands of kilometers traveled to achieve all this, with the aim of enhancing and making this incredible territory known.