In this chapter we will discuss one of the masterpieces of architecture Andrea Palladio, located in the green hills of Lugo di Vicenza, Villa Godi.
Included in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 1996 with the other Palladian villas, Villa Godi, is located in Lonedo di Lugo in the Vicenza area and, it seems to have been one of the first works by Andrea Palladio, at least as reported by Veneto architect in his treatise “I Quattro Libri dell’Architettura” (Four Books of Architecture) of 1570. The renovations began by the will of Enrico Antonio Godi, who began with the construction of a Doric barchessa in the courtyard on the left, and then abandoned the works, in 1537, in the hands of Palladio.
From 1540 onwards the interiors were decorated thanks to the wise hands of Gualtiero Padovano who frescoed the loggia and the right wing of the building. These frescoes, still well preserved, are so detailed as to make us understand how different the landscapes and the surrounding environment were. Little curiosity: Villa Godi is located a few meters away from Villa Lugo, a building that most probably can always be attributed to Palladio.
These two pearls are the demonstration of a still immature talent that, despite being different in taste and architectural style, the refined and elegant aesthetic sense of the young architect is well traceable. Today the villa is easily accessible as the barchessa and the outbuildings are used as a restaurant, thus offering the pleasure of a simple visit or some specialties of the Palladian menu.
Curiosity: Villa Piovene and Villa Godi were built in a sort of competition between the two families, which at the time were the most important in the Vicenza area, so much to divide land and rents of the district. Despite numerous attempts to settle, the Godi family and the Piovene family were in constant dispute and the short truces were based, in fact, on very fragile foundations, and soon it came to the murder of one of the two contenders.
- Info Villa Godi Malinverni
- Place: Lugo di Vicenza - Vicenza
- Address: via Andrea Palladio 44
- Phone: 0445 860561
- Saturday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Sunday from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- Tuesday from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm