In this chapter we discuss one of the most important buildings, still incomplete, of the entire historic center: the Rovigo Cathedral.
The Rovigo Cathedral is named after Pope Saint Stephen and dates back to the year 964, when the city was founded. It has always been the cathedral of the diocese of Adria-Rovigo and its current appearance dates back to the reconstruction of 1696 on a project followed by architect and poet Girolamo Frigimelica.
The simple brick façade is unfinished despite repeated attempts to complete it. Despite this, the imposing octagonal dome built by Giuseppe Sabadini of 1791 dominates and completes the building. Its baroque interior design preserves valuable works of art especially of pictorial type.
Worth noting is the 15th century fresco depicting “Our Lady of Graces”, the 16th century “Resurrection of Christ between Saints Jerome and John the Baptist” and talking about the Ferrara school we can find the painting of “Young Palma” depicting Christ Resurrected with the Saints Bellino and Pope Stepehen.
Are you looking for something else near here ???