In this chapter we discuss one of the most famous works of the architect Andrea Palladio, located in the San Marco basin, the Basilica of San Giorgio Maggiore.
The elegant and sumptuous Basilica of San Giorgio Maggiore is located in the small island of San Giorgio Maggiore and overlooks the San Marco basin. The church and monastery built between 1560 and 1580 are among the major architectural achievements of Andrea Palladio, who managed to graft the triangular pediment of classical style on a Christian church.
On the side stands a work designed by the architect Benedetto Buratti, or the 75-meter-long bell tower with a square barrel and the Istrian stone cell, from which one can admire a spectacular panorama over the whole. Do not miss the works of Tintoretto inside the basilica: on the sides of the altar, "The collection of the manna" and "The Last Supper", in the Chapel of the Dead, however, the moving "Deposition of Christ" last work by Tintoretto which, however, can only be accessed with a guided tour.
Are you looking for something else near here ???