In this chapter we discuss one of the most peaceful, characteristic, controversial and interesting areas of Venezia, the Castello District.
The Castello District, the largest and most curious district in Venezia, takes its name from the 8th century fortress that once rose on the island of Olivolo, today called the San Pietro of Castello Island. The church of the island, however, was the episcopal seat from the ninth century and Venezia Cathedral from 1451 to 1807 and for centuries it was the most important religious center of the city.
Moreover, this district, with the great shipyard of the Arsenal that built the battleships of the unbeatable Venetian fleet, has been for a long time the pulsing heart of Venezia. The most popular area in a city that can sometimes be a bit oppressive is Schiavoni Riva, the perfect place to take a breath of fresh air in the shady gardens or on the shores of the lagoon caressed by the breeze. The Castello District, which stretches from San Marco Square to the eastern edge of Venezia, offers a wide range of opportunities not to be missed, such as a walk on the island of Sant'Elena, relax in the public gardens, a visit to the Biennale.
We have divided the Castello District into the following chapters: