In this chapter we discuss the Valbona Castle, one of the symbolic and characteristic buildings of the Euganean Hills Regional Park.
Valbona Castle is a medieval fortification dating back to the 13th century, located in Lozzo di Atestino, in the province of Padua, on the border of the Regional Park of the Euganean Hills. It was built in a period marked by turbulent wars between Guelphs and Ghibellines, in fact, this ancient bastion was built in a strategic place, along the borders of the Paduan territory and that of Vicenza to control the surrounding countryside and waterways between Este and Noventa Vicentina. Today this evocative castle, with its crenellated walls and its hexagonal towers, represents one of the best preserved medieval fortresses.
Guelphs and Ghibellines were the two groups, two movements in Italian politics of the Low Middle Ages, in particular of the 12th century. Those who, after the death of Emperor Henry V of Franconia, in 1125, last emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, fought for the succession of the imperial crown. In this political sphere, the struggle passed in distinguishing who supported the empire, that is the Ghibellines, and who supported the papacy, that is the Guelphs. A special feature: the two factions depicted with some pride the battlements of the walls and towers of their castles, distinguishing them between square battlements of the Guelphs and dovetailed merlons those of the Ghibellines.
- Info Valbona Castle
- Place: Lozzo Atestino - Padova
- Address: via Castello 2
- Phone: 0429 97022